Reflecting on #25ReasonsWeBuild
Since our founding in 1993, Flatirons Habitat for Humanity has worked to bring the benefits of homeownership to Boulder and Broomfield counties. In 2018, as we celebrate our 25th anniversary, we’re taking some time to reflect on why we do what we do.
In the last quarter-century we have built, rehabilitated, or repaired nearly 100 homes in the area, and have funded the construction of more than 130 homes abroad through tithing. With our help, hundreds of homeowners have opened new doors to health, safety, and educational advancement.
We also believe that providing options for affordable housing is strengthening the Boulder and Broomfield communities at large, and have worked to expand the scope of our work to meet heightened community needs. As housing prices in the area climb to unprecedented levels, we have set a goal to aggressively grow our building capacity over the next fiscal year. In 2018 alone, we plan to break ground on two new builds providing 21 total units of affordable housing.
We are incredibly proud of what we have accomplished so far. But we know that there is still work to do.
Looking to the future, we are guided by the grand vision of a world where every single person has a safe, decent, and affordable place to live. But we are also motivated by hundreds of more humble images: A quiet corner where a bright young mind can study. A sunny yard safe for playing outside. A kitchen where healthy, home-cooked meals are prepared.
We think that these small dignities cultivate happy, productive lives and strong communities. So as we come up on 25 years of service, we’re crafting a list of #25ReasonsWeBuild. We already have some reasons in mind - but we’ll also be borrowing ideas from Habitat homeowners, long-time volunteers, staff, and more.
And we want to hear from you, too! What kind of impact have you seen Flatirons Habitat make in your community? What makes affordable housing a crucial issue in our area? Comment below to let us know what you think. And stay tuned on Facebook to see all #25ReasonsWeBuild throughout our year-long 25th anniversary celebration.
1. Because home is more than just an address
2. Because affordable homes shouldn't be rare
3. "For the people in my community"
4. Less commuting, more community
5. Because good health starts at home
6. For cozy places to curl up with your favorite book
7. Because strong families build strong communities
8. Because there's nothing quite like going barefoot in the back yard
9. Because it takes a village to raise a house
10. "Because Habitat lays the foundation for our community"
11. To put the "home" back in "homework"
12. Because we share more than just a zip code
13. "To stay in the community where we built our family"
14. "Because this home is a sanctuary"
15. Less stress, more stability
16. Because adequate shelter is a human right
17. Because a decent home is the foundation for health
18. Because a safe home helps break the cycle of poverty
19. In support of safe and friendly neighborhoods where kids can trick-or-treat
20. Because we're part of a global community
21. For 97 families and counting
22. #ChildrensDay is a reason to remember that homeownership has an incredible positive impact on children.
23. Because our amazing donors, volunteers, partners, and friends make our work so much easier
24. Because we all deserve to be home for the holidays
25. So we can build strong for 25 more years.